Monday, March 4, 2013

MEET AUTHOR KEN CONNALLY - KING OF THE WEEK on QUEEN OF AFTERNOON TEA CELEBRITY AUTHOR INTERVIEWS



CELEBRITY AUTHOR 
KEN CONNALLY
NANCY JILL THAMES


Welcome! Such a pleasure to interview a fellow Guilder - thank you for joining us today. I've read your book and thoroughly enjoyed it. Let me pour you a cup of Darjeeling. Milk? Spenda?  Thank you for your recipe for the Goat Cheese and Pecan Tea Sandwiches. I've included the recipe at the end of the interview for our readers. Please help yourself. We also have Nutmeg Scones with strawberry jam and mock Devonshire cream.  For dessert, I've made  Teatime Truffles - the recipe is courtesy of Tea Party Girl.
Available on Amazon.com
Where do you live? Tell us a little bit about yourself.
My wife and I have lived in Leander since 1991. We’ve seen a lot of change in the last 22 years. I have two children. A son, 23, and a daughter turning 20 in March. Unless something unexpected happens, we plan on spending the rest of our lives in this area.
I’ve been diabetic since the age of 18 months. My struggles with this “challenge” as I like to call it have influenced my life and my writing in so many ways.
I try to stay active in my church by writing scripts for the drama team.  My wife has acted in several of the productions in church and I recently took part for the first time as an actor.
I work as a software consultant, which challenges the logical side of me. I’m one who believes in keeping a good balance of the left and right brain in life.
Are you a traditionally published or Indie author?
I am currently Indie published. Someday I might enjoy going the traditional route, but I haven’t even tried sending anything to a traditional publisher yet. I enjoy the freedom and flexibility of publishing independently.
What are your hobbies?
I’m a person that likes to try new things, new challenges. I have more hobbies than I can mention…
Let’s see, I love wood working, I’ve made several tables. I’ve given a few away as gifts, and even have some requests to make more, but most of them are just sitting around in my home.
I enjoy playing and writing music. I played euphonium in high school, and keyboard in a local church for 3 years. I enjoy all styles of music. From classical to rock.
Since I try to eat low carb most of the time to help keep my blood sugar low, I also enjoy coming up with my own recipes that allow me to enjoy different varieties of foods yet still stay low carb. I’ve created a few desserts, soups, and baked breads using soy or almond flour.
I love writing poetry and pencil sketching.
Tell us about your current book. What was your inspiration?
My book, A Night Like No Other, is a combination of my love of writing poetry and sketching. The main character is a toy soldier named Toby. The story begins while he is being carved by the Creator. He is unique and beautiful, just like all of us. When the Creator leaves the shop for the evening, Toby’s curiosity takes over and he finds himself in a bad situation. The whole point behind the story is that if we will just listen, and stay close to God, we might too be able to catch a hint of what he has planned for us. We are ALL worthy of his love and his blessings in our lives.
I think my inspiration for this story comes from my own challenges in my life. Diabetes, loss of eyesight, heart attack before 40 that resulted in quadruple bypass surgery, asthma… etc, etc.. Sometimes I look at life and I think how easy it would be to give up, to give in. But I’ve come to believe that it is our struggles that make us the person we are. God has kept me here. He MUST still have a lan for me.
How did you become a writer? When did you start?
How did I start? That is a good question. I’ve always enjoyed telling stories. I never thought of being a writer though. I enjoy being creative and just within the last few years have decided to start sharing my work.
I started writing poetry and pencil sketching around the age of 13. My book, A Night Like No Other, is a result of my love of drawing and poetry.
How long did it take you to finish your first book?
My first book took about 3 years. I didn’t originally plan to write a book, but received so much encouragement from friends I had through church and my work that I decided to publish a collection of my poems.  My second took about 2 years. Hopefully that is a trend that will continue.
Where do you like to write?
I wish I could do nothing but write for a living. However, since I am not yet to that point, I have a job as Software Consultant that keeps me pretty busy. The job often requires me to travel, and it seems I get quite a bit of writing done each time I fly. Not sure if it’s the altitude or just the thought of being unburdened for a few hours, but it always seems to get my creative juices flowing.
Favorite author(s)?
In the past I read quite a bit of Stephen King. After a while however, I switched to Greg Bear. Something about his books appealed to me. Maybe the complexity. I felt they lead the reader to think a little more about what they were reading. Most recently I’ve been trying to read more stories by independent authors. Trying to get a feel for the level of the writing to see if I’m up to par.
How many books have you written, so far? Do you plan to write more?
So far I have written 2 books. The first, published back in 2006, was a collection of my poems. That contract recently expired and I plan on editing and rewriting the existing pieces and adding more to the collection before re-publishing within the next 1 to 2 years.
My second book, A Night Like No Other, was published in 2012. A Christian poem / story that I marketed as a Children’s Christmas story. However, I’ve had quite a few readers tell me it’s not just for children, and it could definitely be enjoyed at any time of year, not just during the Christmas holiday season.
I do currently have 2 more in the works. The first is another illustrated “children’s” book. However, I’m still debating at this time as to whether I will leave it in a rhyming format or try something new. The second is a totally new genre , horror. I’ll probably write that one under a pen name so as to not scare those readers away that have been following my children’s Christian series.
Would you like to share a link where we can purchase your books?
You can find a link on my website www.kenconnally.com to my current book, A Night Like No Other, on Amazon.
What about a link to your website?
I do have a website setup that I’ve been working on. It still needs quite a bit of work, but is developing nicely. You can find information on my background, samples of my poetry and illustrations, and even a couple of pictures of some of my wood working. The site is www.kenconnally.com.  Feedback on the site is ALWAYS appreciated.


Thank you so much for visiting with us today. It was a pleasure. Blessings, my friend.

Ken Connally's Green Apple, Pecan and Goat Cheese Sandwiches

1/3 Cup goat cheese

6 pecan halves

1/2 large Gala apple


Chop the pecans into large pieces.


Soften the goat cheese and mix in the chopped pecans.


Core and thinly slice the apple.

I spread the cheese mixed with pecans on the apple, but my wife suggested getting a heavy bold bread such as Rye or Pumpernickle and putting a layer of the cheese and then the apples on that and then removing the crust and slicing into 1 - 2" slices.


The above makes enough for 1 person, so be sure to multiply by the number of guests you will be serving.
  
 

Teatime Truffles
"Can you say YUM?"

 

Ingredients:

1 pkg. (8 oz.)  Cream Cheese, softened
3 cups  powdered sugar
1-1/2 pkg. (12 squares) Semi-Sweet Chocolate, melted
1-1/2 tsp.  vanilla (or peppermint or almond)
Choose a coating like, ground walnuts or peanuts, unsweetened cocoa,
powdered sugar, coconut or ground earl grey tea.

Directions:

Beat cream cheese in large bowl with electric mixer on medium
speed until smooth. Gradually add sugar, mixing until well blended.
Add melted chocolate and vanilla; mix well. Refrigerate 1 hour or until chilled.

Shape into 1-inch balls. Roll in your coating and store in refrigerator


2 comments:

  1. Very nice interview.

    Also, thanks for posting the truffle recipe. I'm going to give them a try.

    cindialtman(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do look delicious! Thanks for joining us, Cindi!

    ~Nancy Jill

    ReplyDelete