Monday, February 18, 2013

Who Does She Think She Is?

"I LOVED her book!"
"I loved her book!"
"Dahling, I absolutely adored her book - fabulous!"

Depending on who you are as a reader - one of the above will appeal to you more than the others. I like the third one. After writing seriously for almost three years now, I've discovered readers either love your writing style, hate it, or hope improvement comes with time. Go figure! With millions of books on the market I finally decided to write in my own voice and study the craft every chance I get through creative writing classes at the library, which I'm currently attending, and then auditing a class this summer at Concordia University.



Now, having a degree in music, I could tell you the difference between a perfect authentic cadence and an imperfect authentic cadence, but ask me about usage difference between an endash, an emdash and an ellipsis and I begin to scratch my head! Add to that different conventions of grammar styles and I go into a tailspin. So what's an author to do?

Just keep writing!

Think of books as meeting the author in person. Authors may be informal in their habits and speech and write that way, or more formal as in my case. To address the title of this post, I think I'm a good story teller on a mission to write a mystery series of eight books. Those of you who have joined me on my journey and supported me with favorable reviews I consider friends. All others are mere acquaintances just as in life there are both. Thank you for downloading "From the Clutches of Evil" over the weekend. If this is your first book in the series, by doing so you've entered my world of gentility coupled with my imagination. I hope to see you as a new friend in the rest of the Jillian Bradley mystery series. If not, thank you for sampling my work. If you'd like to sample it for free - download "Murder in Half Moon Bay" on Smashwords and Kobo.

Now I must get back to writing "The Ruby of Siam" - after all, readers need to find out what happens to Jillian and Teddy in London.




See you in my books!
 ~Nancy Jill








No comments:

Post a Comment